(Inspired by a talk given by Boyd K. Packer)
With all that is going on in the world, with the lowering of moral standards, the multiple wars being fought, and the struggling economy. You may feel uncertainty and insecurity in your lives. You young people are being raised in enemy territory.
The gospel plan is “the great plan of happiness.” The family is the center of that plan, as was stated in, “The Family: A Proclamation to the World.” The Proclamation states that first of all, every human being, both male and female, was created in the image of God, and that marriage is only between a man and a woman.
We all make mistakes; none of us is perfect, or even close to being perfect. Some of us will make serious mistakes, but you will not make a major mistake without first being warned by the promptings of the Spirit. This promise applies to all members of the Church.
To those who have made such mistakes, there is a way out, and that is through repentance.
Repentance is first, you feel true remorse and guilt for what you have done. Then, if your sin affected anyone, or it was serious, then you talk with whoever you have affected, and/or your bishop. Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, your sins will be washed away and you will be made whole again.
Here are some words of what you can do to help you get through enemy territory:
- Dress modestly
- Listen to clean and uplifting music
- Help those in need, do good deeds and care for others
- Avoid addictive and harmful substances
- Avoid piercings and body jewelry (directed towards men. For women, have one set of earrings)
- Avoid tattoos; your body is a temple. Would you spray paint a temple?
- Choose your friends carefully; they will play a big part in how your future turns out
- Listen to the Holy Ghost.
Do these things, and you will be able to navigate through enemy territory, and live a long and prosperous life.